Final Fantasy VI was later re-released under a number of different platforms and titles, including:
- Released as a Playstation exclusive called Final Fantasy Collection on March 11, 1999. The collection also included Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy V
- Final Fantasy Anthology - A compilation released for the Playstation in North America on January 13, 1999.
- Final Fantasy SGI Demo - Was a short demo made by Square using characters from Final Fantasy VI. It was produced using new Silicon Graphics, Inc. (SGI) Onyx workstations acquired by Square, the demo was Square's first dive into 3D graphics, and many assumed that it was a precursor to a new Final Fantasy title for the Nintendo 64, which was false.
- Final Fantasy VI Advance - A ported version for Gameboy Advance released on November 30, 2006 in Japan.
- Wii Virtual Console (JP: 01/01/2011)
- Playstation Network as a PSOne classic (JP: 04/06/2011), (US: 11/22/11)
Final Fantasy Anthology
Final Fantasy VI was re-released and ported to the Sony Playstion in the Final Fantsay Anthology compilation, which also included Final Fantasy V; the European edition included Final Fantasy IV instead. There were several new additions, improvements, and changes compared to the original release, including:
- New CGI openings and endings
- New effects used at the start and end of battles
- Memo save option
- Concept art gallery
- New Bestiary
Final Fantasy VI Addvance
Final Fantasy VI Advance was a direct port to the Nintendo Gameboy Advance. The port is very close to the original release but it doesn't have the cinematic movies like the Playstation release. Although the game is a direct port, there were many new additions and differences, including:
- Enhanced graphics
- 4 new espers - Leviathan, Gilgamesh, Cactuar, and Diablos (Click here to learn more)
- New location called Dragon's Den Dungeon, which includes a new superboss, that was 'coded' but never released for the original game, called the Kaiser Dragon.
- New location called the Soul Shrine, a new location where the player can fight monsters infinitely.
- 3 new spells
- Bug fixes
- Music player
- New and better english tranlsations