Expansions and Patches
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has had several patches and one expansion since its release. Most of the patches add quick content, fixes bugs and adds small features, while expansions add much more.
- A Realm Awoken - Patch 2.1 released on Dec. 16, 2013. Major features of this patch include the addition of Free Company housing, the Wolves' Den PvP arena, and the Labyrinth of the Ancients, the first section of the Crystal Tower 24-man raid.
- Through the Maelstrom - Patch 2.2 released on Mar. 27, 2014. This patch opens the Second Coil of Bahamut raid and new features include gardening, the ability to project glamours onto gear, and the Saga of the Zodiac Weapons, a questline to empower the relic weapons.
- Defenders of Eorzea - Patch 2.3 released on Jul. 8, 2014. The main features of this patch are Frontlines, a large scale PvP battlefield with up to 72 players which revolves around defending control points; the Hunt, a server-wide search for Elite Marks—powerful notorious monsters hidden in the open world that yield currency and upgrade materials when defeated; The Second Coil of Bahamut(Savage) and Syrcus Tower, the next step of the Crystal Tower raid.
- Dreams of Ice - Patch 2.4 released on Oct. 28, 2014. This patch opens the Final Coil of Bahamut raid where they confront Bahamut himself. The other primary feature of this patch is the debut of the Rogue class and Ninja job with accompanying quests.
- Before the Fall - Patch 2.5 released on Jan. 20, 2015. Released in two parts, "Before the Fall" concludes the A Realm Reborn storyline and starts moving into the Heavensward storyline. The first part features the Odin primal battle and the final Crystal Tower raid, the World of Darkness. Frontlines features a new mode called Slaughter whose objective is defeating other players. A patch between the two parts introduced the Manderville Gold Saucer, a theme park area devoted to the card game Triple Triad, Chocobo racing, and other minigames. The second part primarily consists of quests that conclude the story.
- As Goes Light, So Goes Darkness - Patch 3.1 released on Nov. 10, 2015. First patch for the Heavensward expansion. Introduces a new 24-Player raid, The Void Ark. Airship Expeditions also become available for Free Companies with an airship. A new addition is made to the Manderville Gold Saucer, the mini-game Lords of Verminion; players make use of in-game collectable minions in real-time strategy-style matches.
- The Gears of Change - Patch 3.2 released on Feb. 23, 2016. This patch opens up the second section of Alexander, Alexander: Midas is introduced along with two new instances and a new trial, Sephirot, one of the primals of the Warring Triad.
- Revenge of the Horde - Patch 3.3 released on Jun. 7, 2016. Third patch for the Heavensward expansion which concludes the Dragonsong War story. Includes a new 24-Player raid, a continuation of The Void Ark called The Weeping City of Mhach as well as the Aquapolis, a dungeon whose entrance has a random chance to appear during a treasure map hunt and the Palace of the Dead, a multi-level dungeon with a progression system separate from the rest of the game in which players start at level 1 and power up with items found within the dungeon.
- Soul Surrender - Patch 3.4 released on Sep. 28, 2016. Fourth patch for the Heavensward expansion. Patch includes new adventures with main scenario additions, new side quests, Grand Company updates, housing additions and so much more.
Heavensward - First expansion for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn released on June 23, 2015. The main storyline of the expansion pack deals with the Dragonsong War, a thousand-year conflict between Ishgard and Dravania, the home of the dragon beast tribe, which is also available to be explored. Free Companies can craft airships and use them to discover floating continents above the clouds. A number of new instances such as dungeons, two Primal battles and the Alexander: Gordias raid are introduced. Seal Rock, a capture the flag style PvP map, is added to the Frontlines. The level cap is increased to 60. The Au Ra are introduced as a new playable race.