On September 30, 2010 Final Fantasy XIV was launched worldwide on the PC. However, the release was burdened by an unprepared and incomplete product. In order to fix the mistakes of the original product, much of the content was changed with additional new content added. The improvement originally just titled as Version 2.0 was officially renamed Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
The relaunch was produced and directed by Naoki Yoshida (Yoshi) and included a revamped graphic engine, better server infrastructure, user interface, redesigned maps, and more gameplay options. The changes helped save the title and FFXIV: A Realm Reborn has thrived since its launch in August, 2013 and now has approximately 6 million subscribers.
For more information, check out our sister site: FFXIV Addicts
Hydaelyn, a vibrant planet blessed by the Light of the Cyrstal. Amid azure seas, encompassing the westernmost of the Three Great Continents, there lies a realm embraced by gods and forged by heroes. Her name - Eorzea. It is here that your tale unfolds. Beckoned by the Mothercrystal, the source of all life, you must embark upon a quest to deliver the land from an eternity of Darkness.
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has had several patches and expansions since its release:
- A Realm Awoken - Patch 2.1 released on Dec. 16, 2013.
- Through the Maelstrom - Patch 2.2 released on Mar. 27, 2014.
- Defenders of Eorzea - Patch 2.3 released on Jul. 8, 2014.
- Dreams of Ice - Patch 2.4 released on Oct. 28, 2014.
- Before the Fall - Patch 2.5 released on Jan. 20, 2015.
- Heavensward - Expansion 3.0 released on Jun 23, 2015.
- As Goes Light, So Goes Darkness - Patch 3.1 released on Nov. 10, 2015.
- The Gears of Change - Patch 3.2 released on Feb. 23, 2016.
- Revenge of the Horde - Patch 3.3 released on Jun. 7, 2016.