Final Fantasy X introduces a new mini-game called, 'Blitzball'. Blitzball takes place in the water, you have to pass the ball to your teammates through the water dome in order to get closer to the 'adversaries' goalkeeper and then be able to score a goal. Unlike many other sports games (and like Squaresoft games) instead of playing in "live action" you have to choose commands for each movement you will do. Each team has 6 players.
Each one of your teammates (which are NOT the main party members of FFX) has his own statistics, and depending on them and in your strategy, you will be able to win tournaments and/or leagues of the game. By doing this you'll receive rare items depending in which place you ended.
To make a team, you have to "hire" other five players (the sixth is Tidus), you have to be very careful to choose, considering the advantages and disadvantages each player has. Here are the statistics:
- LV - Level. Player's current level
- SPD - Speed. It determines wether your player is fast or slow
- HP - Hit Points. You use hit points for everything. From defending to shooting, the HP are like the stamina of your player.
- PHY - Physical. The damage you can take while attacking
- ATK - Attack. The damage you can inflict while defending
- PAS - Passing. The higher this statistic is, the longer you can pass the ball
- CUT - Cut. You can intercept passes at a bigger rate when you increase this statistic
- SHT - Shooting. It determines the strenght of your shoot
- CAT - Catching. Only used by goalkeepers. It is used to stop shoots. The more Cathing, the more shots your goalkeeper will stop.