This is a hella useful item, but it's a bit hard to use so I thought I'd say a few more things about it:Originally Posted by Cobain
- Draining HP works normally while this is equipped. If you need to heal yourself, this isn't a bad way to do it. Black Mage's Drain and Magic Knight's Drain Sword are both decent choices, but I find equipping Dragoon's DragonSword and using it every turn (instead of your basic attack) keeps you HP pretty close to full all the time. Blue Mage's BloodSuck (or Vampire, or whatever it's called) is also fairly good, but you have to be at low HP for it to be effective. Although speaking of Blue Mages...
- White Wind heals you. This is hands down the best technique in the game to pair with Bone Mail. I used a Blue Mage with Dragon Sword as my secondary to keep my HP and MP up, then tossed out White Wind to heal the rest of my party; should my Blue Mage's HP get low, I used Blood Suck to recover half of it. However, there were times I wished I could have cast a full strength White Wind to heal a near-fatal bonemailed Blue Mage, so maybe having your Blue Mage be something else would be a better idea.
- Stuff that restores your HP to "full", instead drops you to critical. This includes Elixirs, various chemist mixes, etc. Keep this in mind for doing to other undead enemies.
Obviously Life/Phoenix Down/Chemist's Revive kill you. Don't do them to yourself. In fact, in general, Chemists and Bone Mail don't play nicely together.
- Bone Mail blocks most negative statuses, including Poison. It does not block the HP leak onset by Bio (which is not poison), so I don't recommend using Bio to cure yourself.
- Bone Mail gives you a weakness to Fire. Equip a Flame Shield or Flame Ring to circumvent this.
- Bone Mail also gives you a weakness to Holy. Nothing casts holy on you anyway, so don't worry.
- As Cobain said, there is NO way to revive a KO'ed bonemailed character. Keep a Time Mage around to cast Return if your character gets KO'ed.